You would have thought that club owners would know how to run a cloakroom. It must have been done successfully a million times. So how do they fuck up so badly? Last night Connection, under new management, was a victim of its own success. The cloakroom there is very small and very dark. In the past few years Connection has not been very busy, so a no-cloakroom made sense. Last night it was rammed and very good fun, except that there was a half-hour wait to get things out of the cloakroom. We've been there before. So here are the Discodamaged top tips on how to run a cloakroom:
1. Have big clear numbers on the tickets
2. Have lights in the cloakroom
3. Have a cloakroom that is big enough
4. Have number very visible on stored cots / bags
5. Do not have to climb a ladder to retrieve items.
6. Store the coats / bags in order by number so that they can be found easily
7. Do not allow cloakroom staff to drink or take drugs
8. Have a back up cloakroom
9. If it's a sex / fetish club have bags for customers to put street clothes in
10. Have a system so bags can be numbered easily. (Very sticky tape is good)
It's not rocket science! One London promoter, after a similar fiasco, told us, "We're introducing a computer system". Duh! You don’t need a computer for a cloakroom. You need common sense.
Luckily the cloakroom staff that night were very friendly and totally doing their best in English and German and the punters were very patient. The facilities failed in all points except 7. Bork the new man at Connection told us that very soon they will have a new, larger cloakroom downstairs.
Off to Perverts tonight. More Folsom Berlin listings here.